Sunday, February 22, 2009

Soup-erb Sunday

This comes from one of my older sisters. According to my mom it freezes well. I think I'd leave the tortellini out of any that I freeze; I tend to feel that pasta gets a bit 'gummy' if it is frozen after being cooked.

Tortellini Soup:


-1 pound sausage
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-2 large onions
-4 large garlic cloves
-red pepper flakes (to taste)
-1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
-1 quart tomatoes
-2 quarts chicken stock
-1 large package tortellini
-1 cup fresh basil, chopped
-handful fresh parsley, chopped


Step 1: Cook sausage with olive oil, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes and fennel.

Step 2: Add tomatoes and cook 1 minute.

Step 3: Add chicken stock and cook 10 minutes more.

Step 4: Add tortellini; cook to desired tenderness.

Step 5: Stir in basil and parsley just before serving.


Yummy Variation--make an extra heavy-duty pasta sauce by omitting the chicken broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment